With the ongoing battle for the perfect fitting shorts I need a break. A quick make with no welt pockets and fit issues. Enter Lady Skater!
Pattern: Lady Skater Dress by Kitschy Coo
Size: 4 at bust / 5 at waist
Alterations: extended shoulder seams for wide shoulders
Fabric: Tana Lawn Knit
Again its another pdf pattern, I think the taping together of paper is sapping my sewing mojo. Next make will definitely be tissue paper pattern.
The pattern has two sets of instructions: a full photo tutorial with hints and tips and a shorter crib sheet version for more experienced sewers. I started with the full version but I ended up getting lost in the details and ended up using the short version by the end. The full version is definitely packed with information and hints. I did pick up some tips – like how to handle clear elastic! I have always had difficulty using clear elastic and previously I have given up on it to use other methods to stabilise like fusible stay tape. But the instructions showed me the light and I may be able to actually use up the stash of clear elastic I seemed to have had forever.
The fabric is another Spotlight purchased – its cotton / modal blend. I didn’t know tana lawn knit was a thing, but when I found the rack in the store I couldn’t walk past it. The fabric is really light which makes the dress really comfortable to wear and I think suits the Lady Skater skirt really well. However the recovery of the fabric is quite limited – the dress can only take a couple of wears before looking quite ordinary. A refresh via the washing machine and its back to good again.
The skirt is great – oh so flattering! And the assistance of clear elastic supporting the waistline means the skirt hangs so nicely.
The neckline is sweet. The neckline binding is applied in before finishing the second shoulder seam – though I think I prefer the finish when the binding is completed after both shoulder seams (I always seem to have clumsy shoulder seam when I complete neck binding ‘in the flat’ but it may be just my technique that’s below par)
The hem I finished off with a quick twin needle – and all done within a couple of hours. An awesome quick make that I have already got lots of wear from.
Notes for next time: I think I over adjusted for wide shoulders – next time I will reduce the extension I made. I didn’t think that the adjustment that I usually make for wovens would be different for a knit, but of course it is. I’ll know better next time.
Knits are still a learning curve but improvement continues. Maybe even a coverstitch machine is in my future! And I have the Kitschy Coo’s Penny Pinafore in my sights. Also check out the range of knit fabric on Kitschy Coo’s website – oh so cute.