The Brisbane summer is certainty on game – we are having days in the high twenties (Celsius degrees of course), humidity in the 70% range and a light breeze. It is my favourite time of year in Brisbane; the purple plumes of jacaranda trees dot the street scape and afternoons are best spent on a verandah with your favourite refreshing beverage in hand.
To celebrate the season, I completed a project that is actually appropriate to the weather and also booked a city break to the Gold Coast for December/January. Think flowy maxi dress with spaghetti straps and your favourite refreshing beverage in hand. Wait do we have a theme here!!! Oh heck yes!
Anyway, I present the Named Delphi dress. I have had a liking for the pattern with its sweet back loops since it was released a couple of seasons ago however I only managed to pick a copy during Named’s recent birthday sale. I purchased PDF version which unfortunately is not available in ‘Copy Shop’ format so a fun Friday night was spent trimming and taping A4 pages together. The pattern pieces are also overlapped which reduced the amount of pages but added tracing to the ‘to-do’ – so the not best start.
Named Patterns has quickly became one of my favourite independent pattern designs. The designs are interesting and the Delphi dress is definitely no different. The dress has a loose overlay top that drops at the back and the spaghetti strap twist at the back.
With my previous Named makes, I tend to size up as I prefer to wear my clothes with a bit more ease than Named draft into their designs (that is extra dessert room). However based on few other blog posts on the Delphi I decided to size down to a size 38 instead of my usual 42 and I am glad I followed their advice.
Perhaps it is a design decision of the pattern but I find it too loose in the bodice. I would like to take at least an inch in from side seams. Maybe the excess needs to come out of the back bodice? The loose top is not assisted by the fact it is not bra friendly so as I am wear a strapless bra I feel even more self conscious of how the bodice is fitted.
The fabric I think is a knit bamboo blend from The Fabric Store – I went to double check the fabric content but remaining roll was already gone (along with the other colorway). The fabric is interesting – really really heavy and delicate when wet but when dry is light drapey and easy to work.
Construction wise, the dress came together quite quickly. Once cut out, I think the dress was completed within a couple of hours. The dress was predominately whipped together on the overlocker, with a guest appearance from the coverstitch for the hems and standard sewing machine for bodice binding. The dress has elastic as a support at the waist which I sewed in via the overlocker with the blade disengaged.
For more Delphi inspiration check out: