The weather is cooling in Brisbane but I am hanging on to the remains of summer with a tight grin. While a sundress is not quite season appropriate at the moment you can get away with it – just stay in bed until the suns warms up the air a little bit.
Pattern: Lily from Colette Patterns
Alterations: Small bust adjustment for the bodice
Fabric: Gingham from fabric swap at Brisbane sewing meet up (silk habotai from fabric stash)
The Lily sundress seems to be the poor cousin of the Hazel dress from Colette Patterns. I have never understood this. The two dress patterns were released together, and while the number of Hazel across the blogsphere and flickr is significant Lily seems to be trail behind. But there are some wonderful Lily’s around – the pattern is fantastic, hugging all the right places and with pocket construction is reminiscent of the Rooibos. I recall that the Lily pattern was inspired by Sophie Loren and you can definitely see it – it is great fun to wear.
Following Inna’s lead, the only adjustment I made was a small bust adjustment. I shaved off 1/2 inch from the side fronts and a little from side seams on the side back pattern pieces.
I changed up the construction process a little. As I skipped a test muslin, I didn’t attach the neckline flap until after the zipper was in. This way I was able to have a mid construction fit check before some more adjustments and then attached the neckline flap and facing. I redrafted the facing and neckline flap patterns pieces to factor in the small bust adjustments, but nothing to major. The shoulder straps I moved a little out to be a little more bra friendly.
The fabric is from the fabric swap that was held at the Brisbane Sewing Hight Tea, organised by Busy Lizzy in Brizzy. I am not sure who the original owner was, but thank you the fabric really is quite lovely. The fabric had a curious sheen to it but after a prewash the fabric’s glory was revealed. A quick burn test showed that is a cotton, maybe cotton blend.
I did consider underlining as I was a little concerned that the fabric was a little sheer. In the end I didn’t bother; it is a sundress after all. After some deliberation over what contrast to use – I settled on some bright green silk habotai. Red was too obvious, orange was interesting but not quite me, white was meh; green it was.
Oh gosh, such sweet pockets! – excuse the blurry photo but I had to show more of the pockets.
The insidey bits – nothing too much of note. Seams overlocked. Only hand stitching was the hem which for pencil skirt is a pretty speedy task.
Invisible zipper for the back but a shame that my local Spotlight was out of black zips – so white it was. Quite happy with the match at back waistline and matching up the checks.
For next time, no changes really. Maybe lengthen the shoulder straps a little as the dress does seem to sit close to the underarms – but that’s no big deal.