One last grasp of breath for the Vintage Pledge. I did intend to complete a 1950’s Bishop method skirt dress as part of the Vintage Pledge but other sewing projects always seem to grab my attention – yes, completely squirrel’d that one. Instead 1970 glamor rears its fabulous head and a Grecian floor length flowing wedding dress appears.
Pattern: Vintage Simplicity 6672 (later re-released in 1980 as Simplicity 9750)
Size: Size 14
Alterations: Shorten skirt length and bodice length
Fabric: Silk Lurex and silk satin interlining from The Fabric Store
Paired with Silk lurex and silk interlining from The Fabric Store – my regular haunt since work moved to be 250m away from the Fortitude Valley store – for maximum fabulous.
The pattern popped up in eBay in a pattern parcel and I swooned. I had been eyeing off the fabric for a couple of weeks and I knew the two would be perfect pairing. So I headed back to the store within a hour or so the eBay sale concluding and I purchased what remained on the roll which was just under three metres from memory.
After considering that the itch of the Lurex threads in the fabric would drive me insane I went back to pick up some silk satin to use as interlining. As getting a match for green/blue/teal of the fabric was going to be difficult, I matched the interlining to the gold lurex. The silk Lurex is only slightly opaque so the interlining didn’t need to match but I thought a little peak of the gold inside would be sweet as the skirt swooshes around.
Fabric constraints without reducing the length meant the fullness of the skirt needed to be reduced unfortunately. Pattern matching had no chance and fortunately print placement was not a complete disaster however looking at the front now I see a slight flower boob on the front – oh well, work with what we have right? The back though I am quite happy with the placement, not matching but balanced.
While my previous vintage pattern was complete and all patterns pieces were complete – this one was not the case. A previous owner had cut off the front and back skirt above the shorter View 1 length and the front bodice had the neat wrap around neck collar hacked off. Yes, hacked – I can’t even pretend the sinking feeling of seeing one of the endearing features of the pattern completely disregarded. So based on the pattern piece view included in the instructions I redrafted the top of the bodice front and using the side piece (which appeared completely unused) I redrew what I thought would be the original full skirt length.
Very few adjustments to the pattern were necessary. I shorten the skirt length on all pattern pieces by two inches by folding up at the shorten length and pinched out almost another inch to rise the neckline.
For the inside finishing, I did consider binding the seam allowances but given the time constraints and not wanting to add too much bulk, a simple pinked edge sufficed. Because I can’t help myself a few couture features were added. Hem and armholes were finished with bias binding that was catch stitched to the interlining, strips of silk organza cut on the straight grain were used as stays across the front bodice gathers and shoulder seams, neck facing fell stitched to interlining, and a hand picked lapper zip. Hemming was quite a drama and I was happy to see the end of it.
The end result is very fun to wear. The skirt is huge and I stagger to consider how much fun the skirt would be if I didn’t have the fabric constraints! So much twirling! So perfect for the holiday season where a little bit of sparkle cannot go astray. Let’s hope for more occasions that require a gold glitter dress!